Skip To Main Content

Our School

Welcome to Auburn School, home of the Tigers! Our teachers and staff build positive relationships, set high expectations, and create an engaging learning environment for each of our students. 

At our school, we help our students develop skills that lead to success, such as effectively communicating, collaborating, and being an innovator. We want to empower our students to take charge of their learning, and we work hard to ensure each student has a voice. 

In conjunction with our community and families, we strive to take care of our children to ensure they are ready for their next steps in life. We are so proud of our community of teachers and learners, and we can’t wait to see what they accomplish next!

 

Auburn School
221 College St, Auburn, KY 42206
Phone: 270-542-4181
Fax 270 542-7921

A History of Auburn

The town of Auburn was incorporated on June 3rd, 1865. Most of Auburn's religious and educational institutions were established in the initial rush of development shortly after the town's incorporation.

From history, we know that schools existed in Logan County long before statehood and before the county was formed. Many of the small schools were one-room log structures and were taught by ministers. Parents paid a small fee for their children to attend.

In the 1800's, a private school by the name of The Auburn Seminary was held in Auburn. Many of the students came from long distances and would board with private families. The same building that was used by the Auburn Seminary was obtained by the Board of Education and used as the main source of Auburn's first public school.

The schools were private until 1891, with the adoption of free education in the Kentucky Constitution. This process was slow due to a lack of funds. There was no public high school in the county until the board was forced by law in 1908 to provide one. During the period of 1910-1912 the private high school in Auburn became public.

In 1936, a new high school and gym were constructed and remained until the Logan County schools consolidated into a common high school in 1982. 

The present Auburn Elementary and Middle School was completed in 1988. Today, the faculty and staff of Auburn School continue to provide its 800+ students with the opportunity for an excellent education!